Sunday, August 9, 2009

In the Beginning . . .

In the beginning was the word. I am very grateful to have this opportunity to share the things of interest to me. But why do a blog? It is probably very similar to most bloggers. I have something to share and something to contribute. I have something to say. I have felt a spiritual prompting to share my thoughts and feelings for quite some time. So here (hear) goes. Whether thousands read, or one, or none makes no difference. I know that this is what I want to do. I am truly excited and grateful to be on this journey with you.

A disclaimer is in order. These are my OWN thoughts and feelings. They are just opinions. I do not speak for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons). Although I am a member in good standing, I alone am responsible for my words. I do not consider my words to be the doctrine of the church. I do not hold keys of authority to pronounce doctrine for the church. These are opinions and opinions alone.

With that said, lets embark on this journey together of Millennial Mormonism. First of all, what is Millennial Mormonism? For me, it is the answer to the question--what are you feeling right now, at this moment? If the answer is a feeling of peace, joy and goodness then you are on the right track. If you are filled with fear, anxiety, worry, shame, bitterness, anger or rage then chances are, you are the opposite of a Millennial Mormon. It is about what you are feeling right this second regardless of what is physically going on around you. I call it a MILLENNIAL MOMENT.

Most Mormons look forward to the literal day when Jesus Christ will return and bring peace to this war-torn Earth. I count myself among those who look forward to that literal and physical return of the Savior. In preparation for that literal day, I believe we need to be ready. We can become ready by creating an INTERNAL MILLENNIUM within our own temples.

As I have pondered the scriptures, the temple, the living prophets, and asked God questions in prayer, I began to see that I had put all my eggs in one basket. I had put them in a literal/physical basket so to speak. (As you are imagining this, perhaps you can see me actually misunderstanding this phrase and literally taking eggs out of my refrigerator and putting all of them in a literal basket! You might smile to yourself as you picture this image of me not understanding the meaning behind the phrase. It actually wouldn't be too far from the truth in my life up until now!)

I had become what I like to call a "Nicodemus Mormon". It is the exact opposite of a Millennial Mormon. As you recall, in John 3, Jesus tells Nicodemus that he needs to be "born again." Today, to most everyone, "born again" has plenty of meaning and certainly different interpretations. Nicodemus on the other hand had never heard that term used before. It was completely new. Not unlike most people, Nicodemus took being "born again" at face value and because he had never heard of such a thing was confused. He looked at things through a literal/carnal/physical filter and asked "how can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mothers womb, and be born?" I admit that I have been much like this good man. When it came to the temple, the scriptures, and the words of living prophets, I have been a Nicodemus Mormon.

I started out being a Nicodemus Mormon socially at first. It seemed like everybody was doing it. So I just followed the crowd. Soon, I began looking at things only through a literal/physical filter by myself and alone. Then, literalism in the mornings! And finally, when I binged on literalism and felt so guilty and horrible for all the literalism I had consumed, I consumed more literalism just to make myself feel better! So I joined NA--Nicodemus Anonymous! Mormon chapter.

Although I have not discarded all literalism and the physical world is still essential for joy and important to me, I have embraced meaning beyond the literal/physical and it has greatly blessed my life. It has started to create (organize) the dawn of a millennial day within myself. That is what this blog is all about. Moving beyond literalism will open an entirely new world for yourself--a millennial world. To paraphrase the Master Teacher--I have not come to destroy literalism but to fulfill it. Welcome to Millennial Mormonism Today!

Now, I want to warn you. The natural man is extremely uncomfortable with that which is beyond the literal and physical. Some of you may be upset at the things I share. There was a time when I would be as well. Remember when Jesus fed the multitude and he called himself "the Bread of Life"? When he told the multitude that they needed to eat his flesh and drink his blood in order to have eternal life, the literalists in the crowd were completely offended by such language. Why? They were offended because it went against everything they held dear. It went against their TRADITION. And the natural man does not like it when the "tradition boat" is rocked. The natural man craves the security (and sometimes darkness) of tradition.

After Jesus the Christ said those words to the multitude, the scriptures say "from that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him." When it is suggested to the natural man that his uber-literalist (the natural man in me loves the word uber and has craved to use it for quite some time) view is incomplete or "unwhole", the natural man says: "This is a hard saying; who can hear it?" (John 6). The natural man walks no more with Jesus and looks for alternatives.

I know I may be rocking the boat with what I am saying and what I will say. I want any and all who read this blog to know that I have nothing but love and gratitude for you. I'm grateful for you the reader, the commenter, the questioner, the criticizers and even the persecutor. I pray for nothing but blessings to be upon you. No matter who you are or where you come from, you are always an honored guest. Welcome once again to Millennial Mormonism Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment